The thought for the day is also the blog for the day. This is something that Grandma and I discovered in our morning devotional last week. We feel that Mr. Schantz, the author, has dealt very nicely with a subject that we have often discussed (complained about) here at home and in our Bible school class at church. As a result of reading this, we're going to try a little harder to be open to the musical program we have at church.....it's going to take a lot of getting used to but I think we can handle it. It does seem to me, though, that there could be a balanced mix of the old and the new, but then that's a sermon I'll hold for another day.
Church Music, Past & Present
The worst culture shock of my lifetime has been the loss of my kind of church music. I was raised on the great hymns of faith, written by the best poets and musicians in the world. Now, happy hymns like "Love Lifted Me" and choruses like "It's Bubbling in My Soul" have given way to melancholy choruses that I find vague and hard to sing. Pianos and organs have been trumped by electric guitars and drums played so loudly that my bones buzz.
No, I don't like all the old hymns, nor do I dislike all the new music. Much of it is lovely. I'm just happy for the rich lyrics and melodies that drift through my mind from a childhood spent in church.
In the morning I find myself singing, " Some golden daybreak, Jesus will come..." When the day gets hard, I'll be humming, "I need thee every hour, most gracious Lord…" And when I'm too upset to sing, I'll think of the song that says, "And Jesus, listening, can hear the songs I cannot sing."
One afternoon I was walking around town, thinking about doing something I shouldn't have' (never mind what). At that very moment the neighborhood church bells began to play, "Savior, like a shepherd lead us…keep thy flock, from sin defend us, seek us when we go astray." With blurry eyes of repentance, I turned toward home.
Whether you prefer the old tunes or the new ones, music is a heavenly language that enables us to tune out the din around us. I recommend it for whatever ails you.
Savior, like a shepherd lead me, because I tend to wander.
-- Daniel Schantz
I agree. I miss the old hymns and don't care for the loud music, but one day, my kids will be remeniscing about the music they listen to today and wish their church wouldn't be playing that loud stuff, either. I think it's what you grow up with.
ReplyDeleteI can still try and get something from the new noise, er, uh, music! And God loves it All!
Our church has one service that plays "traditional" music and one that plays "contemporary". We've attended both and can go to whichever we're in the mood for. ;-)
ReplyDeleteI love many, many hymns; they are lyrically rich. Many praise choruses are too actually. Some of them seem slightly cheesy to me though, and some just have lyrics that don't seem to be all that "worshipful." But since we are commanded to "sing a new song" and to sing "psalms and hymns and spiritual songs", I think a good mixture of the two is ideal. :)
ReplyDelete