Sunday, May 10, 2009

Post #19

Thought for the day:

It's a paradox that many climb to considerable heights by remaining on the level.

……………………………….

This being Mothers’ Day and all, I thought a tender poem would be appropriate:

I rose and gave her my seat;
I could not let her stand—
She made me think of mother, with
That strap held in her hand.

Yes, it is Mothers’ Day and it has been a good one for Grandma and me. It’s not like we did anything unusual, just special like all of our other days together. That probably sounds a bit “mushy,” but it is a truism, nevertheless. When Grandma and I first got married, and for the first several years of our marriage, we celebrated holidays and special days like this one—and many others that were not officially holidays—with cards and gifts to each other. As time has gone by, though, we have discovered that real gifts don’t have to be flowers, or jewelry, or candy, or such. The real gift is the time we share with each other; and that happens every day. I must confess, though, that we occasionally splurge on each other by making a special trip to a Hallmark Card shop for the purpose of selecting appropriate cards for each other. We each pick out a card that carries the message we want to convey, then trade cards. We both read “our” cards, smile....and put them back in the rack. It’s not that we’re cheap; it’s just that…well, why waste money on a pretty piece of cardboard when we tell each other how we feel every day?

We did have a good church service, followed by a nice lunch at Fresh Choice Restaurant. I started to say “a nice quiet lunch,” but it was anything but that; apparently every mother in the county was there with all of her kids—probably 10 per mother—but it was good food, anyway.

The afternoon was especially good because the SF Giants beat the Dodgers in 14 innings. What a way to end a day!

Oh! I have been taken to task because I didn’t include the address of Psycho Donuts, that yummy place that we wrote about on Friday. It isn’t that I forgot to give the address, it’s just that I don’t know the address. I do know, though, that the donut shop is located in a small strip mall on the south-east corner of Winchester and Campbell right adjacent to a Subway sandwich shop (catty-cornered from the Campbell Center for the Performing Arts.)

--30--

1 comment:

  1. Right after I asked you where Psycho Donuts was, I saw it, driving to Mom and Dad's yesterday! How funny. I am glad that you both had a nice time celebrating Mother's day together. It's true that time spent together is the best gift. :)

    ReplyDelete