Thought for the day:
“My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!”
---Thomas Jefferson
……………………………………….................………
There is an old song that we heard quite often in the early 1940s—the World War II era. I don’t remember the song’s exact title but the lyrics went something like this:
Say a prayer for the boys over there when they play the Star Spangled Banner.
Picture them in the dawn’s early light, and ask the Lord to watch over them each night.
Lift your eyes as you silently rise when they play the Star Spangled Banner.
Let the voice of freedom fill the air.
Say a prayer for the boys over there.
Of course there were no female soldiers on active duty in WWII, but many of them were out there serving; they just weren’t carrying weapons. Thankfully, today there are many women serving there country, fully armed and working equally with their male counterparts. Whether we say “boys” or perhaps “troops,” though, the sentiment expressed in this song is every bit as relevant today as it was during WWII.
Though Memorial Day is officially May 30, it is being celebrated today, mainly to give us a three-day weekend away from work. I like to think that most people in America stopped for a moment or two sometime during the day and offered a quiet prayer for the safety of all of our service personnel. And that’s as it should be. Still, I’m afraid that sometimes it’s all too easy to remember events, things, and people on specially designated days, but then kind of forget them the rest of the year
I hate to think of what it would be like here in America if our people in the military thought about us just occasionally, or only on special days like the 4th of July or Thanksgiving. That thought scares me. Personally, I believe that every one of us needs to regularly pray for their safety just as they are constantly thinking of ours.
With that thought in mind, I have made a promise to myself: From now on, the first thing I will do every morning -- right after telling Grandma that I love her -- is thank God for the dedication and bravery of all of our service people, and pray that He will watch over them, and bring them home safely. That’s the least I can do.
..................................................................
Today’s riddle:
What can’t you say without breaking it?
This so easy even I figured it out, but let me know what you think.
--30--
That is a beautiful sentiment, Grandpa. I wish the schools did a better job of teaching students why we celebrate this day, and that it's not because we've gone so long without a day off. Whether you agree with the war or not, those who are brave enough to actually fight it deserve our admiration and gratitude.
ReplyDeleteThanks Honey. I appreciate your comments, and I especially appreciate your awareness and sensitivity to the whole subject.
ReplyDelete